Monday, December 19, 2016

New material ... but for whom?

Now here's a situation I certainly didn't see coming: I got an idea for brand new music project during the last weekend and I really liked the idea, too. I still do, of course. And it's not just that; it was such a strong idea that it inspired me to start working on it already during the weekend. How? First I drew logo during saturday since the music idea came with the project name, too (yes!). Got the logo drawn and it came out nicely. The band name is ... kind of weird, but it's also self explanatory. What then? I went and started crafting first song for the project on sunday, and ... got the first song pretty much 100 % completed. It's a crazy song. Not just because of the special extra thing combined with it, but that song is a death metal / grindcore hybrid, furious one at times ... I was actually going to form a new blog for this new project today already, but now here's this little paradox as the first song turned out to be quite chaotic, extreme metal case ...

... which brings me to the good question posed in this post's subject line. You see, originally I had all the details completed, new band project name too and so on. But originally I thought the beats would be, well ... not necessarily extreme metal, while certainly metal beats. Not necessarily blasting. Perhaps occasionally something else than metal beats, too. But how that first song came out, it made me question the project idea and think about whether this idea could be turned into next Scumfusion album instead?

That's what I'm wondering now. Does it make sense to form a new project or should I simply call it a start for making a new Scumfusion album finally? There's something different in the way I recorded the first song (guitars & bass) compared to how I've recorded material for Scumfusion in recent years; the difference is that now I recorded playing in a loose, relaxed way - not trying to play "as precisely as possible". The guitar/bass sounds are both more dirty/raw, too. I have a feeling this wouldn't be as polished sounding as latest Scumfusion release ("Lost constellations" 2013) ... there's also the question of vocals: Scumfusion needs vocals. I was thinking the new project could be actually instrumental, or then it could have freaky/crazy vocals, not necessarily serious in style ... that comes from the certain element in the music.

So, ... I'll have to think about this a bit, perhaps continue composing few more songs and then look how it feels. It's either an all new project with no limitations (like f.e. limited to grind) or then it's new Scumfusion album with this certain element, kind of crazy edge to the music. It depends quite a lot on how the material turns out. If it continues in the extreme style, it could be Scumfusion. If it's not just extreme style, then it's not Scumfusion, clearly.

I'll write more about this as the vision is getting more sharp. Exciting times anyway ... since I really like that new song I recorded yesterday and it is a indeed a crazy extreme metal song. It offers something new in the world of cybergrind, I dare to say, too. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment